[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 21:42:18 +0100

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 03:14:11 -0400, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> IsZero is to allow a host app and/or a plugin to conceptually fill an audio
> buffer with all zeroes, without actually having to pay the memory bandwidth
> penalty of calling memset().  If you go with this kind of mechanism, and you
> want some automagic filling with zeroes in some cases, you expose a method
> to get the buffer pointer.

This can also be made to work with VST, LADSPA, CoreAudio(?) style
explicit buffer passing, not just DirectX style buffer handling, I think.
The host can provide a set_zero() call that will instruct the host that it
either has to fill with "silence" or substitute an existing buffer, when
passing to he next thing in the chain it can give the silent buffer as
input and whatever it was going to use anyway as the output.