[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 16:36:12 -0700 (PDT)

> 1) provide an encoding enum along with format enum. This is limited to only
> a single encoding at a time, and I suppose it might be nicer to have a set
> of properties that could be defined.

Just something simple is best  a config file witha list of formats and
metadata.  The encodings can be treated the same way as any other format,
since they are truly mutually exclusive.  It's not Stereo AND LtRt.  It's
LtRt.

XML may be good for this file, though forcing hosts to parse XML might piss
people off.  Myself included.  A simple format is simple enough.  I'll even
volunteer to write a lex/yacc parser.

> Encoding enums, properties, whatever should be optional and can be ignored.

How can they be ignored?  All plugins will be forced to identify the formats
they can accept.  The host will HAVE to understand the encodings.

Tim