[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 15:55:31 +0100

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 01:28:14 -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
> I agree with all this wrt static mapping of inputs in-place to outputs.
> However, no mention has been made of the baton-passing model.  The benfit is
> that the host has no knowledge of what is or is not required, and plugins
> can optimize to whatever degree they want.

This has allready been mentioned, but it only makes sense for the host to
decide when to use inplace or not: if the host is running plugins inline
on a set of buffers it makes sense, if the host would otherwise have to
copy to another buffer anyway then it doesn't. It has no bearing on what
the pugin wants  to do.