[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 19:33:44 +0100

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 05:35:11 -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
> So the stereo-swapper would say I can process in-L into out-R and vice
> versa. The process call would then be literally empty.

The stereo swapper is an uninteresgting corner case, please dont optimise
for it.

Only the host knows wether inplace processing is an optimisation or not,
so only it can request it.

I think we should either not require plugins to be inplace safe (the
easest optioon), require them to be (a bit of a pain, but more efficient
in the general case) or make them say wether they are or not (more
efficient, more compex). Other solutions are just more complex and dont help.