[gmpi] Re: Topic 5: Threading

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 06:12:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Ross Bencina wrote:

> So, I would suggest that DSP object should be callable from multiple
> threads, but not simultaneously - ie they should not use thread-local
> storage, but they should not  be called re-entrantly from different threads.

Precisely. Thanks for explaining it better.

It's not so much that I feel this is the best possible design for a plugin
architecture, but I think it's an important goal to make the SDK
accessible to relatively new programmers (this is one of the things that
made VST such a big hit), and it seems to me that threading issues are
something that's not easily hidden by an SDK. However, if someone has some
good ideas as to how we might do that, without totally destroying
the efficiency of code generated by the SDK, I'm open to suggestions.

Regards,
        Angus.