[gmpi] Re: Topic 5: Threading

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:36:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Kirill 'Big K' Katsnelson wrote:

> Some time ago, Angus F. Hewlett wrote...
> >Can anyone give a good reason why DSP objects need to be callable from
> >multiple threads?

> I think that situations are possible when a host does not control threading.
> Imagine a plugin hosting other plugins, or, even worse, an adapter between
> different interface types (I though *you* would know that! <g>)
> Spawning threads from within a DLL is a sure way to make royal mess in win32.

True. Is it a goal of GMPI that GMPI plugins should be hostable in legacy
plugin apps and/or that it should be possible to adapt any GMPI plugin to
run in a legacy host?

If we're talking about plugins-within-plugins, as long as the host is GMPI
it's not a problem: the intermediate plugin can pass any GMPI
threadcreation requests through to the GMPI host.

Regards,
        Angus.