[gmpi] Re: Topic 5: Threading

  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:24:31 -0400

>1. What kind of realtime guarantees are there, i.e., how do we handle
>plugins that run at > 100% of realtime?

ron, can you clarify what you mean by this?
<<<

I'm still drying tears from eyes after that last thread, but I'll try. ;-)

Assume a GMPI plugin will be cross compiled to either a general purpose O/S
like Windows or a hard-realtime O/S.  In the former, a plugin will run in as
timely a fashion as the scheduler will permit, and if the plugin uses more
than its quantum it'll get preempted and audio will "glitch" or "gap."

I'm not too familiar with the hard realtime world, but isn't it true that on
these kinds of systems a DSP module must have known and bounded CPU
overhead?  If you exceed your quantum on such a system, don't you
essentially take the whole system down with you?

So I was imagining we'd need to define a mechanism to manage CPU overhead of
plugins to suit different host environments.