[gmpi] Re: Instruments done, moving on to "Plugin Files"

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 02:24:22 +0100

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 08:39:03AM +1200, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> I don't understand the need to have metadata in a separate file for
> licencing reasons. What metadata are we talking about?

Its name, categorisation, who wrote it, what licence its distributed
under, what ports it has, version, maybe a short drscription.

If all you want to store is an ID then you're fine, can't copyright numbers,
but handling anything more than that places you on dodgy ground
tecnically speaking. If you pull that data from a commerically (or GPL for
that matter) licenced binary and redistribute it then I'm pretty sure
youre in breach of copyright.