[gmpi] Re: GUI and DSP separation

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:09:08 +0100

On Tuesday 11 February 2003 16.35, Urs Heckmann wrote:
[...]
> Just for entertainment:
>
> A plugin of mine accidently propagated the wrong UI class and
> suddenly I had the visuals of More Feedback Machine control a synth
> AudioUnit... UI-Hijack...

Cool! :-)

> I think a one-way specification (process asking for a certain GUI)
> is useful because one can build a generic GUI to control a lot of
> plugins, even future ones. I assume one would rather update plugs
> than GUIs.

Yeah, and as has been suggested already, the other way around is=20
interesting as well. That is, each DSP plugin can list zero or more=20
suitable GUIs, and each GUI can list one or more (well, zero might=20
make sense for a totally generic GUI) DSP plugins it can control.

Actually, I'm not even sure it's necessary or even desirable to=20
specifically list *what* you may use for editing. Considering the=20
case where a DSP plugin needs an intermediate in-process proxy to=20
talk to a GUI (to avoid pumping megabytes of samples over TCP/IP...),=20
it might be more useful to just list it as "relations".

For example, an adaptive maximizer plugin could have the=20
learning/programming part in a separate DSP plugin. Still no GUI=20
involved, but the learning/programming plugin *is* a user interface=20
of sorts, and is not needed for normal operation.

Now, whether or not it would be useful to have two GUI applets=20
controlling each other is open, but it would be possible... I bet=20
someone would use this to create a networked game or something, using=20
a GMPI host as a game server. ;-)

=2E- The Return of Audiality! --------------------------------.