[gmpi] Re: GUI and DSP separation

  • From: Urs Heckmann <urs@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:35:20 +0100

Am Dienstag, 11.02.03, um 16:11 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Steve
Harris:

> On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 04:04:18 +0100, Marc Poirier wrote:
>> This actually sounds exactly like how it's done with AU.  The GUI and
>> the
>> DSP are separate executable code, separate DLLs, separate plugins,
>> etc.
>> In Mac OS world, they are called "components" (handled by the
>> Component
>> Manager).  The DSP component gives the host, if requested, a list of
>> zero
>> or more IDs for GUI components that are recommended, and then the
>> host can
>> instantiate any GUI components, passing along a Component Manager
>> reference to the DSP component, and then the Component Manager
>> resolves
>> any property setting and getting that the GUI component does.  The DSP
>
> Can you explain why its done this way? It also seems useful for the UI
> express what DSP components it can control. For example, in LADSPA we
> have
> UIs that can control any (or a subset of) plugins. Possibly both are
> desirable.
>
> - Steve

Just for entertainment:

A plugin of mine accidently propagated the wrong UI class and suddenly
I had the visuals of More Feedback Machine control a synth AudioUnit...
UI-Hijack...

I think a one-way specification (process asking for a certain GUI) is
useful because one can build a generic GUI to control a lot of plugins,
even future ones. I assume one would rather update plugs than GUIs.

;)  Urs