[gmpi] Re: GUI and DSP separation

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:07:12 +0100

On Tuesday 11 February 2003 16.04, Marc Poirier wrote:

[...GUIs and separate components; AudioUnits etc...]

> I personally think that
> it's an excellent system, and I think that it's basically the same
> as what you're working on, so I would say that it looks to me like
> it has already turned out well.  :)

Sounds like they did some serious thinking then! ;-)

Seriously though, although I've only studied the AU spec briefly, I=20
suspected it was done this way. Haven't seen this in any other API,=20
but it was one of the first approaches I had in mind for MAIA. (A=20
plugin API project that died some time after LADSPA came around. You=20
could think of XAP + JACK as MAIA done right, I believe.)

That is, I'm not just shooting from the hip here, and I don't think=20
Apple were either. It's a good design.

=2E- The Return of Audiality! --------------------------------.