[gmpi] Re: Decision time: 8.2

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:47:45 -0700

This has been an interesting discussion to observe, but I'm confused on a rather basic point. It seems like much of this is based on some assumptions about touch automation that seem counter to my understanding of touch automation. As I have seen the term used, touch automation is an automation mode in which the the host allows real-time UI (from either GUI or control surface) parameter adjustment events to be used instead of playing back whatever previously-recorded automation events may exist for the same parameter during the touch-update interval, and then snaps back to automation playback mode at the end of the touch-update interval. There's also a variation on this where the touch events are recorded into the automation data, either replacing the previous data for the update interval, or else saving the old state as a take and then creating a new take with the revised automation data.

So my first question, is this the same thing that people are talking about now? If so, then my statement would be that unless I'm missing something else, that seems orthogonal to the design of the plug-in API.

Here's why. Whatever the source of the parameter adjust events, they're still all getting funnelled to the plug-in instance through the same method. So start and end of a 'parameter adjust gesture' can be handled purely within the host; at the end of the gesture, the host just sends the plug-in an event to set the twiddled parameter back to the value it would have had if the touch events had never happened.

Here I assume a few things, maybe there are errors in here somewhere:
- automation sequence playback parsing/event generation is done by the host app
- plug-in UI parameter event handling (including generating plug-in API calls) is done by the host app
- plug graph management is done by the host app
- routing of plug-in parameter set events to the plug-in instance is done by the host app

Given all that, I'm unclear on why touch automation wouldn't be purely a host issue. IOW, how does any of this actually affect the plug-in API? Why does the plug need to care whether the events it gets are coming from a touch update source? Like I said, maybe I'm just missing something.

-- Chris G.