[gmpi] Re: Decision time: 8.2

  • From: Marc Poirier <fipnid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:18:30 -0700 (PDT)

--- Paul Davis wrote:
> >>    Mouse movements       --------
> >>    + whatever   -------> | UI   | ----.
> >>                          --------      \
> >>                          --------       \ --------------
> >>    MIDI data ----------> | UI   | ------- | DSP Plugin |
> >>                          --------  GMPI   --------------
> >>                                    data
> >>                                    only
> >
> >Where does this model come from?  It certainly is nothing like any I've
> >seen with any plugin APIs or MIDI i/o implementations.  I've never seen
> >MIDI be mitigated by any sort of UI, it is usually a high priority data
> >stream directly for the DSP component just like audio.  But if it does
>
> 2 comments. first of all, in the initial stages of discussions here,
> it was broadly agreed that MIDI would *probably* not form the core of
> any "music data" within a GMPI graph. its an old, useful but limiting
> protocol and can easily be wrapped into a newer, more flexible
> one. consequently, the idea of a DSP plugin handling MIDI directly is
> *probably* a non-starter.

Yeah, I know this, but we started talking about MIDI because I brought up
a specific real-world example, which did involve MIDI specifically.

> would a DSP plugin handle "music data" directly? i think not. it seems
> more likely to me to be handled like this:
>
>       Mouse movements       --------
>       + whatever   -------> | UI   |
>                             --------
>                                | setParameter
>                              | requests
>                             --------         --------------
>       MIDI data ----------> | Host | ------->| DSP Plugin |
>                             --------  GMPI   --------------
>                                     parameter
>                                     changes
>                                     only
>
> and this is not so different from the way several existing hosts work
> (to the extent that its possible to infer such things from closed
> source software).

Okay, I think that I maybe just wasn't clear enough when I said "directly"
or whatever I said.  I didn't mean that the host wouldn't be involved and
that the plugin would be dealing directly with the OS MIDI services.  I
meant MIDI coming from host to plugin, but with no UI of any sort in
between.

> however, i would not rule out direct handling of "music data" by the
> DSP plugin, since it does offer some flexibility that isn't present in
> the above diagram. as a result, i agree that (DSP) plugins need to be
> able to tell the host "parameter N is changing to XXX.YYY".  they
> should (obviously) only do this in response to internally generated
> parameter changes that are not driven by messages/events from the
> host.

Yes, however the music data does reach the plugin, it is still up to the
plugin if it is going to interpret that data as parameter changes, and
devise a way to interpret gestures composed of sets of those parameter
changes (in the example that I was giving).

Marc

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com