[gmpi] Re: Decision time: 8.2

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:06:40 +0100

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 10:47:44 -0600, Mike Berry wrote:
>       I agree that the UI is separate, but I still think that we want a
>       way for the plugin to tell the host two different pieces of information:
>
> - a parameter has changed due to something that the host does not know
> about.
>
> - plugin-based parameter changes for a particular parameter are finished.

I think this can all be subsumed by timestamps, only the plugin needs to
know the specifics of its (internal) parameter change handling, and as
long as the host is capable of replaying the parameter changes sent to
the plugin it should be deterministic.

For one thing often the plugins internal parameters do not map to the ones
it exposes via its UI (think of a dynamic filter), so the plugin would
have to back-generate the UI parameter values from its internal ones,
which is not desirable.