[gmpi] Re: Decision time: 8.2

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:42:33 +0100

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:18:30 -0700, Marc Poirier wrote:
> Okay, I think that I maybe just wasn't clear enough when I said "directly"
> or whatever I said.  I didn't mean that the host wouldn't be involved and
> that the plugin would be dealing directly with the OS MIDI services.  I
> meant MIDI coming from host to plugin, but with no UI of any sort in
> between.

The UI in my exmaple was simply a MIDI to GMPI converter, it would
probably be provided by the host.

> > however, i would not rule out direct handling of "music data" by the
> > DSP plugin, since it does offer some flexibility that isn't present in
> > the above diagram. as a result, i agree that (DSP) plugins need to be
> > able to tell the host "parameter N is changing to XXX.YYY".  they
> > should (obviously) only do this in response to internally generated
> > parameter changes that are not driven by messages/events from the
> > host.
>
> Yes, however the music data does reach the plugin, it is still up to the
> plugin if it is going to interpret that data as parameter changes, and
> devise a way to interpret gestures composed of sets of those parameter
> changes (in the example that I was giving).

Yes, but as its not opaque MIDI data going directly to the plugin there is
no need for the plugin to keep other things updated on the state of its
paraemters as all the changes are happening in the open.

The musical data is still GMPI data or whatever sort, so the host can
follow it and use it to build undo/autoamtion data.