[gmpi] Re: Decision time: 8.2

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:06:18 -0400

>>    Mouse movements       --------
>>    + whatever   -------> | UI   | ----.
>>                          --------      \
>>                          --------       \ --------------
>>    MIDI data ----------> | UI   | ------- | DSP Plugin |
>>                          --------  GMPI   --------------
>>                                    data
>>                                    only
>
>Where does this model come from?  It certainly is nothing like any I've
>seen with any plugin APIs or MIDI i/o implementations.  I've never seen
>MIDI be mitigated by any sort of UI, it is usually a high priority data
>stream directly for the DSP component just like audio.  But if it does

2 comments. first of all, in the initial stages of discussions here,
it was broadly agreed that MIDI would *probably* not form the core of
any "music data" within a GMPI graph. its an old, useful but limiting
protocol and can easily be wrapped into a newer, more flexible
one. consequently, the idea of a DSP plugin handling MIDI directly is
*probably* a non-starter.

would a DSP plugin handle "music data" directly? i think not. it seems
more likely to me to be handled like this:

      Mouse movements       --------
      + whatever   -------> | UI   |
                            --------
                               | setParameter
                               | requests
                            --------         --------------
      MIDI data ----------> | Host | ------->| DSP Plugin |
                            --------  GMPI   --------------
                                      parameter
                                      changes
                                      only

and this is not so different from the way several existing hosts work
(to the extent that its possible to infer such things from closed
source software).

however, i would not rule out direct handling of "music data" by the
DSP plugin, since it does offer some flexibility that isn't present in
the above diagram. as a result, i agree that (DSP) plugins need to be
able to tell the host "parameter N is changing to XXX.YYY".  they
should (obviously) only do this in response to internally generated
parameter changes that are not driven by messages/events from the
host.

--p