[gmpi] Re: Decision time: 8.1

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:49:40 -0600

Paul Davis wrote:

I see parameters as a special class of inputs to a plugin. I realize that this is really a semantic distinction, but I think that this distinction will make it easier to understand the system, because it is familiar. So I see a side-chain input to a compressor as a port, while the compression ratio is a parameter. This doesn't mean that their operation is necessarily different. However, their presentation in the host is definitely different, at least for DAW-type hosts. Parameters are linked to automation. Ports are not.

i think this is wrong. i think its more correct to say that scalar
values are linked to automation, vector values are not. thus, the
audio output from a compressor is not automatable (duh!), and neither
is the audio side chain input, but the compression ratio is. the
difference in the last two is not whether they are ports or parameters
or whatever, but whether they are scalar or vector values.

I didn't make myself quite clear. In my example I meant that the sidechain input was a scalar volume, not an audio input (i.e. some sort of peak value). I see a distinction here between a parameter and this kind of control. We are going to have to make the distinction somewhere, so that host know what to automate and what not to.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems