[gmpi] Re: Decision time: 8.1

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:57:34 -0600

I don't think we should use parameters for output from a plugin. Output should be a port, just like an audio output or control signal output. Parameters should only be plugin inputs which change the state of the plugin.

Tim Hockin wrote:

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 01:33:36 +1200, Jeff McClintock wrote:

Parameters are also usefull for communication from plug to host.

e.g. a Level Meter generated by the plugin for display in a generic
interface. Plugzilla does this.

we do this in LADSPA too.

or is my example mis-use of a parameter?

I dont think so, usually it is reflection a parameter of a plugin, eg. gain reduction in the case of a compressor.

So can parameters then be input, output, or inout?

Mike Berry
Adobe Systems