[gmpi] Re: Decision time: 8.1

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:22:53 -0400

>       I see parameters as a special class of inputs to a plugin. I realize
>that this is really a semantic distinction, but I think that this
>distinction will make it easier to understand the system, because it is
>familiar. So I see a side-chain input to a compressor as a port, while
>the compression ratio is a parameter. This doesn't mean that their
>operation is necessarily different. However, their presentation in the
>host is definitely different, at least for DAW-type hosts. Parameters
>are linked to automation. Ports are not.

i think this is wrong. i think its more correct to say that scalar
values are linked to automation, vector values are not. thus, the
audio output from a compressor is not automatable (duh!), and neither
is the audio side chain input, but the compression ratio is. the
difference in the last two is not whether they are ports or parameters
or whatever, but whether they are scalar or vector values.