[gmpi] Re: Decision time: 7.2

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:48:50 -0700 (PDT)

> buffers at runtime. Is there a restriction that those buffers have to be
> requested during some initialisation phase? Or can they be requested
> anytime?

Either can be argued.  Simplest is to assume the host has a heuristic, and
just act like the host will have enough.  Handling failures here is pretty
tough.  So maybe the host needs to ask the plugin.  But that potentially
limits real-time changes to plugin behaviors or connection states.

> I'm not sure if the occasional code path simplicity win of (c) beats the
> allover design simplicity of (a).

C allows more functional completeness.  A is a known model.  Both have rules
to remember when developing the plugin.  I don't think the design simplicity
is that much better with A.  The hard parts of A, the traps and pitfalls,
are more obvious to me, and THAT is the biggest win I see.  C is more
subtle, but all around more clever.  Clever is not always good.

Tim