[gmpi] Re: Decision time: 7.2

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 01:41:54 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Davis" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> >> No, this is not the only case, not if you extend to the third option,
> >> which is mix-to. In this case, the input buffer != output buffer, but
> >> the plugin should += into the output, not just assign into it. This can
> >> be very useful in a modular host, where you may have an arbitrary
number
> >> of connections coming in to a single pin. The host can call copy-to on
> >> the first input, and mix-to on the subsequent inputs if they exist,
> >> saving memory and a buffer mix.
> >
> >Good thinking! It's true: Bidule for example allows you to route multiple
> >audio output lines into a single input pin (so: nothing special or new:
it
> >already exists and should probably be accounted for indeed).
>
> but we already outlined our desired handling of the input/pin mapping,
> and there is never a situation like the one in bidule that you
> describe. 1 pin corresponds to a single stream of data, and hence one
> buffer. plugins can group pins if they wish. i think i got that right.

Hmmm... Maybe the host can model this as an extra (invisible) block in front
of the one where the pins come together, and this extra block just does the
mixing before sending it through as a single audio stream to the block
"where the pins come together"? But then the (invisible) mixing block should
be able to handle an arbitrary number of inputs. I don't know how Bidule
handles this internally though...

Koen