[gmpi] Re: ABI's / Nutshell

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:36:03 -0800

.. all I said was it made more sense to have the DSP side be where you go to get an instance of its GUI side.

DSP might be running on one PC, GUI might be running accross the room on a second PC.
DSP *might* not be in the same address space as the GUI.

Ah right. However for those cases it's difficult to compare benefits & drawbacks of the two approaches, since that mechanism's not yet designed. Maybe deciding this is premature.

Now what about the problem of populating menus etc. with plugs you can't know you can't use until you instantiate them? This is not a knee-jerk thing, this is an issue.

The interface versioning is a more general thing, it will also apply to say GMPI_Parameters, GMPI_Events etc, allows us to extend the capabilitys of say the GUI independantly of the DSP side of things. It's extending the idea of a 'version' to a more modular level. Being able to ask an interface directly what version it supports is also a good safty net against casting to the wrong thing (when several different types of objects are represented by arrays-of-functions, it's easy to get them confused, or to cast to the wrong kind).

Are you saying you see the factory as the source for -all- the GMPI classes, not just the plugins & GUIs? Interesting. That was unclear to me, which is why I asked earlier what else the factory might be called upon to do.

Well, all you say here is true and good, however it seems not to address the immediate issue I raised. Seems not impossible we'll wind up with some hybrid.

Wouldn't hurt to have the metadata reflect the overall version somehow too.

The metadata is gaining more and more serious functionality, yet since it's packaged separately from the DLLs it might wander from them. Hm.

        -- Chris G.

Best Regards,
jeff