[gmpi] Re: ABI's / Nutshell

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:41:37 -0800

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 01:55:36PM -0800, Chris Grigg wrote:
 b) How exactly does the factory, or a plug, call back into the host
 for services like memory, files, etc.?  Doesn't the factory need a
 bundle of host callback function pointers too?

Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
 I assume that, eventually, the host will pass an "object" to the plugin.
 The host "object" will have functions to do stuff.

Maybe this should be done right off. Presumably, the host is already initialized. The plugin might want to make some host queries during its own init phase.

--
  joq

That's what I was thinking. It seems like you'd want to pass the host function ptrs to the factory just once upon first use, maybe something like factory::init( theHostCallbackPtrs ). Then the factory can get them to all plugs at instantiation time.

        -- Chris G.