[gmpi] Re: ABI's / Nutshell

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:15:20 -0800

Sorry, I wrote that before I saw your other email saying the plug package files were actually just in platform-specific DLL format, which I somehow didn't get before. Which answers my other questions there too. So never mind.

Sure seems like it would be better to bundle the metadata and the DLL into a single package file somehow, else there'll definitely be sync problems.

Sorry to take the bandwidth,

        -- Chris G.

Jeff said:
Chris Grigg wrote:
So if there is no runtime and no anti-factory, how does any static storage for a plug class object get reclaimed?

Not sure I follow. Do you mean storage for data shared between all instances of a plugin? (in C++ terms, the static members).
Static data is initialised automatically when the dll loads. I believe by the OS or C runtime.
Said storage is freed when dll is unloaded.

Not sure I follow the questioning. On both Windows and Linux, initialisation of static data in a dll is automatic. We have a working prototype that proves this.

Jeff