[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time wrap up Try #1

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 18:27:00 -0500

>> The host should be able to provide UST/MSC pairs to the plugin; the
>> plugin could ask for a new UST/MSC pair at some constant rate. This
>> allows the plugin to estimate the sample rate relative to the UST clock
>> and estimate the performance time for a future sample (MSC).
>>

>My recollection is a bit foggy, but is it even possible for the host to know
>the UST with, for example, ASIO?

ASIO doesn't provide it, but the host can easily get it. On an x86
platform, the cycle counter provides the easiest and cheapest source
of UST. On OS X, with Apple's stupid prohibition on user-space access
to the cycle counter, its a bit more complex, but there are quick
system calls that can provide it to the host. As long as this is done
more or less immediately that the host (is notified|wakes up) because
of an audio interface interrupt, its more or less as good as having
the device driver provide it.

BTW, we know all this from JACK :)

--p