[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time wrap up Try #1

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 09:58:22 -0800

Just in case it wasn't clear - I'm blocked by this.  I am awaiting a reply
before we can move forward with the doc (or we can ignore your objections
altogether, which I'd rather not).

It seems that everyone else has no time, no interest, or no objections.  I
just want to close this off.

So take this message as a prod and a beg.  Please, folks, find time for
this?

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 07:03:10PM -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> Thanks, Michael.  I need more info.  You've obviously got some
> "non-standard" ideas bouncing around in there :)
>

> On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 09:21:54PM -0500, Michael Gogins wrote:
> > In a prior post, I described some of the use cases that you say are missing.
>
> I apologize - I think I dropped that email - I remember something like this.
>
> > I repeat them below. Cases 11, 12, and 13 require "conductor time" or
> > "performance time", i.e. loops and pauses do not affect the time which is
> > used by live performers even as software and/or a human operator start,
> > stop, and restart loops or tempo-modifying software.
>
> > 1. Straight scoring and playback, e.g. for making movie music using hardware
> > or software synthesizers. All times always in sync, but starting and
> > stopping at arbitrary points in the score.
>
> > 2. Straight multi-track recording, e.g. for recording live music. All times
> > always in sync, possibly stopping and starting at various sections.
>
> What starts and stops?  The times?  Can you expand on "all times" ?  Are
> these demonstrating anything that we haven't already shown as necessary?
>
> > 3. Straight multi-track recording with overdubbing, e.g. for recording
> > "live" tracks at home. All times always in sync, starting and stopping at
> > arbitrary points.
>
> How is this different from #2?  In fact, it seems that 1, 2, and 3 are all
> the same scenario with minor twists and no new requirements, right?
>
> > 4 and 5. 2 and 3 with inserts. All times in sync, starting and stopping at
> > arbitrary points.
>
> Again, is this the same, or am I missing something?
>
> > 6 and 7. 2 and 3 with loops. Different timelines inside loops, starting and
> > stopping at arbitrary points.
>
> You'll need to go further with this, I'm afraid.  Explain for me what you
> mean by "starting and stopping", and "different timelines"?  I'm sorry, I
> don't want to make you do busy work or spell everything out, but I don't
> want to get your ideas wrong.
>
> It seems to me that with a loop, the music-time would warp from a later time
> to an earlier time.  Example:
>
>       playing...
> LOCATION = tick #123456.0
>       loop...
> LOCATION = tick #789.0
>       resume...
>
> more pathologically:
>
>       playing...
> LOCATION = tick #123456.78
>       loop...
> LOCATION = tick #789.12
>       resume...
>
> > 8. 1 with score generating and time warping plugins (composer's assistant,
> > "feel generator"). All times always in sync, starting and stopping at
> > arbitrary points, plugins controlling or modifying host's timeline.
>
> Define "time warping" and "modifying host's timeline" ?  Tempo?  Meter?
> Other?
>
> > 9. 4, 5, 6 and 7 with score generating and time warping plugins (band
> > recording with automatic rhythm section). Different timelines inside loops,
> [...]

Tim Hockin
thockin@xxxxxxxxxx
Soon anyone who's not on the World Wide Web will qualify for a government
subsidy for the home-pageless.