[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time wrap up Try #1

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:15:38 +0100

[...]
> > and, and finally, about UST ... if martijn (i think he's on the list)
>
> Martijn!  Wake up and convince us?  I just want one good reason why it
needs
> to be part of GMPI and not a platform-dependant thing (like a syscall).

Well, I'm not really sure if UST really needs to be in GMPI. If a plugin
does MIDI and audio processing and the time for the MIDI commands
can be related to the audio time, i.e. MIDI timestamped in samples, then
one would not need UST. If a plugin _does_ need to relate the MIDI and
audio time to some other time, e.g. a video or display device, then you'd
need UST to accurately relate these different clocks.

So I guess the question is whether this external (as in outside GMPI)
sync is needed. I don't see where the problem in supporting UST lies
though; all that is needed is to be able to obtain UST/MSC pairs in
order to relate the audio frame clock (MSC) to the UST clock.

--ms