[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Inter-parameter linkages

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:05:34 +0100

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 02:33:57 -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 06:33:37PM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> > > No, just send back a change notification to the clipped value.
> >
> > That is a horribly inelegant colution - think of the implications on using
> > a graphical UI, plus theres no hint to the user that that range has
> > changed.
>
> I don't see a clean way to do parameter clipping without making another
> level of dynamism on top of parameters.  The ideal would be that the GUI
> knob would just stop rotating at a certain point, until the clip was
> resolved.  Making it go past the clip then come back after some latency DOES
> suck.

Right, but if the ranges are changed by the action that caused the limit you
dont have the problem.

eg.

parma A is set to 2.0, this causes the DSP code to set the range of B to
be [0,0.75] and update the host.

in a GUI, the slider is either renumered to go from 0 to 0.75 or the bits
outside [0,0.75] are greyed out, whatever. The puck is moved if
neccesary.

in motorised faders the range is either rescaled and the fader moved as
appropriate, or the driver for the motorised fader clips values outside
[0,0.75] and the fader stays where it is.

The important difference is that the host knows the the param is going to
be range limited as soon as the DSP code code does, allowing it to make
sensible decisions.

The race conditions here are not as bad as for parmaeter changes, cos only
the DSP code would be able to change ranges dynamically. The concern is
the timing constraints, and wether the host has to guarnatee to keep
values within dynamic ranges 100% of the time. I'd be tempted to say that
dynamic ranges are "soft"/advistory and the plugin has to clip values if
it needs to.