[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Inter-parameter linkages

  • From: "Andy C" <andy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 20:11:44 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 7:37 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Inter-parameter linkages
> It's more than just GUI.

Appreciated.

I think I'm trying to suggest that there is a way for a plugin to publish a
list of accessor methods that the host ,GUI or other device can call to get
the current value of an internal paramter.  In the case of morphing this is
the value value of a parameter between the two morph points.  In the case of
randomisation this is the value the DSP has settled on.   Note, the accessor
methods should retuen a value but never change any internal parameters
(IMHO).

> How about MIDI feedback for devices such as
> motorized faders?

Call the accessor methods ?

> If I press a button in the GUI and the plugin starts morphing, should I
> be
> able to undo that?  Should it all get undone atomically?  How?

Not sure what you mean by atomically.   Presumably though the button would
actually have to send a "patch destination number" (or some such thing).
The host would need to record the patch number before the morph  and the
number after to undo to ?

> How about automation recording?  Do you want to record the morph?
> Probably
> not, because it is reproducible easily.

You'd want to record the values before the morph, the request for the morph
and the final values.

>But if a plugin were
> doinginternal
> randomization, you MIGHT want to record the internally-generated
> changes.

Again, call the accessor methods ?

Just thinking out loud at the moment.

Andy C