[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Inter-parameter linkages

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 16:20:30 -0700

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 12:01:57AM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> > or rather, what exactly are you meaning when you say "morph" ? :)
>
> I mean a control that crossfades between two sets of control values.

And I mean something more complex.  See other email.

> > OK, So you duplicate all your parameters.  You set up A's patch and B's
> > patch.  Then you start the morph.  Assume I have an motorized fader attached
> > to a parameter of this plugin or an auto-generated GUI for it.  What gets
> > reported to the GUI as the morph happens?  Nothing?
>
> Whatever you like. A motorised control surface is drived by a GMPI UI (of
> some kind, may be host native), so it can do whatever it thinks is
> approriate.

You report the state of parameters.  Either the parameters change or they
don't.  If they don't change, then the UIs show nothing.  If they do change,
we're saying the same thing ;)

> > > Surely that would be changing a parameter changes the range of another?
> > > Noones discussed that AFAIK.
> >
> > We have discussed this very example many times.  It's something that at
> > least one plugin does right now with VST.  It's not exactly a VST-supported
> > operation, but it works.
>
> OK, but its still no relevant here; it doesn't require DSP plugins to
> change thier inputs.

It requires the DSP (or whatever accepts the parameter change event) to
respond that the parameter was NOT accepted as-is and was changed.  It is
essentially an internal change, only it is synchronous to a single other
external change.

> > > I've pointed out why having the DSP code do parameter updates is
> > > problematic.
> >
> > And I've solved the problems in a simple way.  Mike has proposed something
> > very similar.
>
> Some of the problems - theres still some outstanding issus with RT
> feedback + the things Ron raised.

The things Ron raised were either a misunderstanding of what I originally