[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Inter-parameter linkages

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 06:10:03 -0700

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 01:17:13PM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> > If I press a button in the GUI, the morph starts.  All the parameters start
> > changing.  The host saw the button press event.  Now I hit 'undo' on that
> > button press event.  We should undo changes to ALL the parameters.  However,
> > if we were recording automation, we'd probably only want to record the
> > button press, and not all the various parameter changes.
>
> This is not the only (or even most common) type of morph, often its a
> parameter the user moves to crossfade between 2 presets.

ok, I'm saying X and you're hearing Y.  When i say they press a button in
the GUI, I mean that the user triggers an event in the DSP plugin.  That
event tells the plugin to start morphing, or what the morph curve is right
now, or whatever.

It does NOT require a custom GUI.  An automatically geberated GUI would work
just as well.  Nothing magical happens in the GUI.  The plugin itself is
handling the morph.

Now maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that if thi is not possible, then
we all screwed up.

> > if the button press is realtime, how do you knbow when to snapshot the
> > plugin?  And how do you know to snapshot it all?  Do you save the value of
> > every parameter before every individual parameter change?
>
> More reasons why the DSP code changing its own parameters isn't the right
> model for morphing.

WTF?  You haven't solved any of these in any reasonable way either.  I'm a
bit frustrated that you keep handwaving "not needed" "not useful" but
haven't actually solved the underlying behavioral requirements at all.

At least, this is what I have gleaned.

1) There needs to be a way to have parameters that are clipped by each other.
Example, min + width.  Changing a parameter which clips must be reflected in
all UIs.

2) There needs to be a clean way to do a plugin-centric morph (as opposed to
host-based) which is undoable, and which updates all UIs (motorized faders,
automatic GUIs, custom GUIs).

Bonus points for making plugin-centric morphs/randomizations be optionall
recordable or not as automation.