[geocentrism] Re: engrossing

  • From: "Robert Bennett" <robert.bennett@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:34:41 -0400

I can be only fallible or infallible
I state that I am fallible.
But that means I can be in error,  including in my statement above.
So I could be infallible, when I say I am fallible.

http://www.catholic-defense.com/dominus.htm

DOMINUS IESUS
CONGREGATION FOR THE DOCTRINE OF THE FAITH

DECLARATION
ON THE UNICITY AND SALVIFIC UNIVERSALITY
OF JESUS CHRIST AND THE CHURCH

...Furthermore, the salvific action of Jesus Christ, with and through his
Spirit, extends beyond the visible boundaries of the Church to all humanity.
Speaking of the paschal mystery, in which Christ even now associates the
believer to himself in a living manner in the Spirit and gives him the hope
of resurrection, the Council states: "All this holds true not only for
Christians but also for all men of good will in whose hearts grace is active
invisibly. For since Christ died for all, and since all men are in fact
called to one and the same destiny, which is divine, we must hold that the
Holy Spirit offers to all the possibility of being made partners, in a way
known to God, in the paschal mystery".

........Hence, the connection is clear between the salvific mystery of the
Incarnate Word and that of the Spirit, who actualizes the salvific efficacy
of the Son made man in the lives of all people, called by God to a single
goal, both those who historically preceded the Word made man, and those who
live after his coming in history: the Spirit of the Father, bestowed
abundantly by the Son, is the animator of all (cf. Jn 3:34

...........There is only one salvific economy of the One and Triune God,
realized in the mystery of the incarnation, death, and resurrection of the
Son of God, actualized with the cooperation of the Holy Spirit, and extended
in its salvific value to all humanity and to the entire universe: "No one,
therefore, can enter into communion with God except through Christ, by the
working of the Holy Spirit".41

.....In the New Testament, the universal salvific will of God is closely
connected to the sole mediation of Christ: "[God] desires all men to be
saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God; there
is also one mediator between God and men, the man Jesus Christ, who gave
himself as a ransom for all" (1 Tim 2:4-6).

........From the beginning, the community of believers has recognized in
Jesus a salvific value such that he alone, as Son of God made man, crucified
and risen, by the mission received from the Father and in the power of the
Holy Spirit, bestows revelation (cf. Mt 11:27) and divine life (cf. Jn 1:12;
5:25-26; 17:2) to all humanity and to every person.

..... Second Vatican Council teaches: "The Word of God, through whom all
things were made, was made flesh, so that as perfect man he could save all
men and sum up all things in himself.

......these separated Churches and communities as such, though we believe
they suffer from defects, have by no means been deprived of significance and
importance in the mystery of salvation. For the spirit of Christ has not
refrained from using them as means of salvation which derive their efficacy
from the very fullness of grace and truth entrusted to the Catholic Church".

....Likewise, one may not separate the kingdom [0f God] from the Church. It
is true that the Church is not an end unto herself, since she is ordered
toward the kingdom of God, of which she is the seed, sign and instrument

.....Above all else, it must be firmly believed that "the Church, a pilgrim
now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and
the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church.
......This doctrine must not be set against the universal salvific will of
God (cf. 1 Tim 2:4); "it is necessary to keep these two truths together,
namely, the real possibility of salvation in Christ for all mankind and the
necessity of the Church for this salvation".

......For those who are not formally and visibly members of the Church,
"salvation in Christ is accessible by virtue of a grace which, while having
a mysterious relationship to the Church, does not make them formally part of
the Church, but enlightens them in a way which is accommodated to their
spiritual and material situation. This grace comes from Christ; it is the
result of his sacrifice and is communicated by the Holy Spirit";81 it has a
relationship with the Church, which "according to the plan of the Father,
has her origin in the mission of the Son and the Holy Spirit".

......  With respect to the way in which the salvific grace of God - which
is always given by means of Christ in the Spirit and has a mysterious
relationship to the Church - comes to individual non-Christians, the Second
Vatican Council limited itself to the statement that God bestows it "in ways
known to himself".83  ...... However, from what has been stated above about
the mediation of Jesus Christ and the "unique and special relationship"84
which the Church has with the kingdom of God among men - which in substance
is the universal kingdom of Christ the Saviour - it is clear that it would
be contrary to the faith to consider the Church as one way of salvation
alongside those constituted by the other religions, seen as complementary to
the Church or substantially equivalent to her, even if these are said to be
converging with the Church toward the eschatological kingdom of God.

........One cannot attribute to these, however, a divine origin or an ex
opere operato salvific efficacy, which is proper to the Christian
sacraments.88 Furthermore, it cannot be overlooked that other rituals,
insofar as they depend on superstitions or other errors (cf. 1 Cor
10:20-21), constitute an obstacle to salvation.89

22.  With the coming of the Saviour Jesus Christ, God has willed that the
Church founded by him be the instrument for the salvation of all humanity
(cf. Acts 17:30-31).90 This truth of faith does not lessen the sincere
respect which the Church has for the religions of the world, but at the same
time, it rules out, in a radical way, that mentality of indifferentism
"characterized by a religious relativism which leads to the belief that 'one
religion is as good as another'".91 If it is true that the followers of
other religions can receive divine grace, it is also certain that
objectively speaking they are in a gravely deficient situation in comparison
with those who, in the Church, have the fullness of the means of
salvation.92  However, "all the children of the Church should nevertheless
remember that their exalted condition results, not from their own merits,
but from the grace of Christ. If they fail to respond in thought, word, and
deed to that grace, not only shall they not be saved, but they shall be more
severely judged".93 One understands then that, following the Lord's command
(cf. Mt 28:19-20) and as a requirement of her love for all people, the
Church "proclaims and is in duty bound to proclaim without fail, Christ who
is the way, the truth, and the life (Jn 14:6). In him, in whom God
reconciled all things to himself (cf. 2 Cor 5:18-19), men find the fullness
of their religious life".94

......."Indeed, God 'desires all men to be saved and come to the knowledge
of the truth' (1 Tim 2:4); that is, God wills the salvation of everyone
through the knowledge of the truth. Salvation is found in the truth. Those
who obey the promptings of the Spirit of truth are already on the way of
salvation. But the Church, to whom this truth has been entrusted, must go
out to meet their desire, so as to bring them the truth. Because she
believes in God's universal plan of salvation, the Church must be
 missionary".
The Sovereign Pontiff John Paul II, at the Audience of June 16, 2000,
granted to the undersigned Cardinal Prefect of the Congregation for the
Doctrine of the Faith, with sure knowledge and by his apostolic authority,
ratified and confirmed this Declaration, adopted in Plenary Session and
ordered its publication.
Rome, from the Offices of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith,
August 6, 2000, the Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord.

  Joseph Card. Ratzinger
Prefect
If Jesus is God, and He left us the Catholic Church as His instrument of
salvation on earth, then we cannot of ourselves create some other means of
salvation than the one God gave us.  In other words, we can't say to God:
"Thanks for your plan, but I'll do it my own way."  What Vatican II had to
say on the subject was that some have a saving communion with the Church
even if they don't have an intellectual understanding of such.  In other
words, they are members of the Church, albeit in an imperfect way, but are
not within the visible confines of the Church.
Vatican II said that if a person is, through no fault of their own, ignorant
of the fact that the Catholic Church is the true Church, such a person may
attain salvation although they are in an impoverished situation.  A person
who knows the Catholic Church is true and refuses to embrace the Catholic
faith would be accountable for the refusal of God's plan of salvation.
In short, God doesn't hold us accountable for what we are innocently
ignorant of.  He will hold us accountable if we know and refuse, or
purposely choose to deny, the light given us and remain in ignorance.
http://www.catholic.com/library/Salvation_Outside_the_Church.asp
.....Indifferentists, going to one extreme, claim that it makes no
difference what church one belongs to. Certain radical traditionalists,
going to the other extreme, claim that unless one is a full-fledged,
baptized member of the Catholic Church, one will be damned.

Pax Christi semper,
Robert