[GeoStL] Re: subject for newspaper story

  • From: "merkin" <merkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 12:21:57 -0700

-

I remember it well - having just moved from Salt Lake at that time.  I'd
probably not include the Wayment case specifically, but the point still stands
that you've got a base of people who could help out in such a situation.  The
terrain there was remarkably rugged, and Gage made it far beyond what any
people would have thought possible for a toddler in sleeper pajamas through
underbrush and snowfall.

If the grandmother is now filing suit because only a few hundred volunteers
went into the mountains that day to conduct the search, then we know where the
idiot gene in the father originated (He'd left the boy sleeping in the pickup,
while he himself was over a quarter mile away in a deer blind).  The father was
found criminally negligent.  But, no, it's probably not the sort of thing for a
newspaper article on the sport, though one might be able to find more
successful stories out there somewhere.

My daughter and I were featured in the St. Louis Dispatch for our homemade
salsa about a year ago.  They did indeed love the angle of having a
four-year-old in the kitchen with Daddy.  She's getting set to place her first
cache tomorrow.  It might be a good angle to find a similar situation in St.
Joseph -- kid puts a cache in a park to show off his/her favorite playground to
other people.

merkin4

From: <barbarastl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:22:35 -0500

>-
>

>I love the idea of including the tidbits about your family and CICO in the
>article - great idea! However, I'm not sure I'd include the story of Gage
>Wayment (the little boy who wandered away from the truck). His grandmother,
>Carol Wayment, filed suit claiming negligence on the part of the county
>sheriff?s office because the searchers didn't use "established and well-known
>search-and-rescue techniques" and said that this contributed to the boy not
>being found before he died. It seems as if that reflects negatively on
>Geocaching. BTW, the father eventually killed himself because of the guilt.

Subject field