[GeoStL] Re: Happy New Years and caching changes.

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:25:28 -0600

-
 Of course if GC.com ever lets us use "archived" as a status on our search
sowe can flag them as such on GSAK, then the experienced cacher might have
life a little easier. I think that is more important than getting disabled
caches archived. At least I can ignore disabled when I run my PQs.
Glenn wrote: - I am also very concerned about active caches that are not
being cared for. When I get the chance I look through all the caches in the
state and look for the ones that have several (like 4) "No Finds" or various
"Needs Maintenance" logs on them. Then those get disabled and enter into the
note cycle. Other caches are harder to find. I used to search the logs
looking for trigger words like WET, Soaked, Wet log, Knives, ect. That was
able to bring in a few more caches that were in a state of disrepair where
noone ever made a "needs maintenance" log. That worked but not very well. I
would end up with hundreds of logs that mention caching in the rain and "we
got totally SOAKED". "We stepped on a WET LOG and fell down", and on and on.
Really that whole direction was mostly a waste of time. While not a prefect
solution, I really count on the NEEDS MAINTENANCE or needs archived logs to
find most problems. You would be surprised what people don't do when running
their PQ's. I looked at a whole bunch of logs today from very experienced
cachers that stated that they did not know a cache was archived. In most
cases the caches had been disabled or archived for a month or more. I
learned(the hard way) to always check the cache page or run a very new PQ
just before going out. As mentioned, there are always exceptions and reading
comprehension is important. On Jan 12, 2009, at 5:50 PM, Jim Bensman wrote:
-I am much more concerned about caches that are active and not being taken
care of than a cache that is disabled. You can filter out disabled caches so
I do not worry about them and see no problem waiting for someone with a good
excuse. Don't people check "is active" when they run their PQ? That filters
out disabled caches. Some of my caches in IL have to be disabled when the
area is closed to protect eagles. It sounds like if they were in MO, they
would get archived before the area reopens. Glenn

--- Links ---
   1 //www.freelists.org/list/geocaching
   2 http://tinyurl.com/87cqw
   3 http://www.MoCache.net