[GeoStL] Re: Happy New Years and caching changes.

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:45:41 -0600

From: "Gary Braman" <Gary.Braman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 4:22 PM
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Happy New Years and caching changes.

www.focusITinc.com

-----Original Message-----
From: geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Glenn Nash
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 3:29 PM
To: SLAGA
Subject: [GeoStL] Happy New Years and caching changes.

-
This is the note I have been working on for a while now.

1st off we  would like to wish everyone a very  happy  new years so
here's wishing  the New Year bring y'all  much happiness and many new
caches to find.

Back in the days of old when I would look at the number of caches that
were disabled in the state 45 to 50 was about what I came up with each
month.  This last year it has been more like 150 to 200 give or take.
Most of these are no ones fault really what with all the rivers
flooding, parks and rest areas under construction. Still tho I get
tons of complaints that we have lots of caches that are not available
or are just junked up.  Travelers liked coming here because Missouri
had such a diverse selection of caches that were always in top notch
shape.  Now, not so much. I used to never get complaints   and now I
do so I am going to tighten up on the things that I know I am lax on.
Generally I give folks waaaay to much time to fix things.  This past
year in particular seems to have been a tough one on the caches in
Missouri and I have given about 9 months of thought into the changes
that we are going to put into place this year.

I know that NO ONE likes getting the monthly maintenance reminders on
their disabled caches but we have to do it.  The way the system works
now (up 'till now) is that once I discover a cache that is disabled it
gets 3 monthly (more or less) notes then it is archived. Depending on
when I discover a cache is disabled the 3 note cycle could drag out to
6 months. That is way too long for a cache to sit unattended. I am
going to knock off two notes   from the process so a cache could be
archived in a couple months. If a cache owner has long since forgotten
about caching and their cache falls into disrepair, the cache may not
even make it for one note cycle.  I am thinking I may just archive it
and if the owner fixes it up they will have the 1st crack at placing a
cache at the location again.  Other reviewers around the country post
one note give owners 2 weeks and then archive if needed. I have never
been able to move that quickly nor do I think I am planning to.

The hardest thing to deal with are the caches that have fallen victim
to natural disasters and other thing that are just out of everyone's
control.  We have let caches sit all summer while the floods come and
go and waiting on the parks service to finish rebuilding a park has
almost become a full time job. I have discovered that MoDoT, Parks
service departments and floods move even slower than I do.   We  will
no longer wait for the powers that be to move mountains and dry up
river basins. If something happens that makes an area inaccessible, I
think the caches should be archived. Of course when the area opens
again the owners will have 1st crack at their spots.

These small changes may seem harsh but we cant allow our playing
fields to get all junked up.

If any of your caches get caught up in the cleanup we are truly sorry
but we can't go on like we have been the last several  years.

I am sure that there will be exceptions and we'll think of something
what that happens but these are our overall plans.

Now for something completely different, I think I'll go have a spot of
tea and continue to recover from the bugs that are beating me senseless.

glenn

---
Your friendly Missouri Geocache Review team,
Glenn (*gln) & Reviewer of the Cache (RotC)