[GeoStL] Re: [geocache] Happy New Years and caching changes.

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:28:13 -0600

-
 I think that the rules state that you need to be near by so you can
maintainthe cache, or have someone near who can. Otherwise you take up space
where another nearby cacher could place a cache that won't go for months
needing repair. Or am I remembering something wrong here?
MBG wrote: - I used to look through the archived caches when you could still
see them on gc.com (incidentally, they've promised to bring back that
featurebut its still missing). I managed to find one that had been archived
for 2 years. I logged the find and requested to adopt it. Now I own a cache
that was placed over 2 years before I started geocaching! As for the notes
ondisabled caches... I really wish you could delete them after the cache was
fixed. They clutter the page a bunch. I understand why you can't, but it's
really annoying. Also, I've often let caches be disabled for a few months
before I get around to fixing them. For example, I have most of my hides
backin Ohio, but I don't get back there until the holidays or Summer, so I
just keep them disabled. But I've always replaced them. Again, I see why
Glenn is doing this, but I guess I'm saying there are always exceptions. I
always respond to reviews notes, but it is annoying to get what looks like
anautomated message asking me to fix the cache or archive it when I've
already explained that I'll fix it next month when I'm back in town. Ho hum.
Maybe we need more reviewers : / mbg On Jan 12, 2009, at 6:42 PM, Glenn Nash
wrote: - Thanks Steve. Steve raises a gigantically valid point. What happens
to the junk that gets left in the woods? I think that it is then called
litter but other people call it pieces of another game. I used to actively
seek people that could go out and rescue archived caches. I figured it was a
good deed that should be done. I caught 27 kinds of trouble for doing such
things. WHY on earth whould anyone get in trouble for picking up junk, I
thougt. Well, here is how it works. Many cachers used to, and still do,
crosslist their caches on several of the other listing services. I even had
afew of mine cross listed too. Just because a cache is no longer listed on
GC.com does not mean that it is not listed on some other service. Ended up
that I had picked up junk that was still being used as caches by the other
services. Technically, I had no right to go pick up or ask anyone else to go
fetch another persons property from the woods and parks. It was made fairly
clear to me that the ownership and control of the container remains in the
control of it's owner. On a practical matter, If i were to find myself
walking in the park and see a pile of trash by a tree I would probably just
pick up some trash and keep moving. With so many caches out there by so many
trees I am sure that I have inadvertently picked up what was an old trashy
cache or two. Thanks for the support. I can tell you without a doubt that we
do not like to shut down caches. It does not make my day nor does it make me
feel any better about things. It is just something that needs doing. On a
side note, I was not able to get MAC OSx to run on my PC laptop. I was close
but it didn't fully work. I was , however, able to get SuSe Linux working
very nicely. :-) That made my day. glenn On Jan 12, 2009, at 5:51 PM, Steve
Bromley wrote: - Glenn, First of all, I hope you get to feeling better soon.
There's a lot of nasty stuff going around out there. I'm working in a
breeding ground of it but so far have avoided 'most' of it. I had a chance
tolook at the caches that were archived and for the vast majority, they
needed it. Most of them have been on my disabled list for a long time.
Getting them cleaned up and 'off' the books doesn't, unfortunately, get them
out of the woods. Maybe SLAGA can off a bounty for people willing to
retrievethe 'crap' from the woods after the fact. I'm glad you are taking a
more proactive approach to cache review and disablement. I agree with both
the why and the how. Ok, now it's three down, and hundreds to go. Thanks for
doing what you do. Steve Bromley It's not only the destination, but also the
path you take and the friends you make along the way. Your friendly Missouri
Geocache Review team, Glenn (*gln) &Reviewer of the Cache (RotC)

--- Links ---
   1 //www.freelists.org/list/geocaching
   2 http://tinyurl.com/87cqw
   3 http://www.MoCache.net