[GeoStL] Re: Favorite points!

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 12:19:33 -0600

I don't like it-I think it pushes quantity over quality.  I like Garmin's
system better (if they get it to work right).  I think favorites would be a
good thing if they did something like award one point per month you find a
cache in.  That would do much more to focus on quality caches.  With
groundspeaks system those who could care less about quality (number hounds)
get the most votes.   With this system someone who shuttles caches (i.e.,
cannot be bothered to take the time to sign the log at the cache so they
move the log books) could get more points in one day than a cacher who cares
about quality would get in a year.  It seems like this system generally
gives those who could provide the best feedback on quality caches the least
amount of votes.

Lets say you do a "throw away" series and get 100 finds in one day.  That
would give you 10 points.  So what do you do?  Give a point to your 10
favorite views of corn fields (how can you remember which it was)?  Or
perhaps you could keep track of the 10 best attached caches?

I've been caching for almost 10 years.  Most of the caches I have found have
been shut down.  I've got 718 points.  How can I reasonably or fairly figure
out how to split up all these points?

With all they have done it is really upsetting that they still do not have a
way to filter out the lame caches (i.e., caches that do not show you an
interesting location or challenge you).

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"