[gameprogrammer] Re: Welcome new members!

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:02:56 -0600

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Peter Harkins <ph@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Excerpts from Bob Pendleton's message of Sun Nov 14 17:09:24 -0600 2010:
>> As always I want to ask each of you to post a question or an
>> introduction. My assumption is that you joined the list to either
>> learn, or to help other people learn.
>
> Howdy. I didn't know there was an intro policy - actually, I couldn't
> find any current archives or description of the list.

Yeah.... I just started doing the intro thing. People come on a list,
lurk for a while, and then leave without ever participating. So, why
not welcome them, let everyone know they are there, and invite them to
participate? It works at parties and in classes so why not on line? So
far the results have been mixed, a couple of people have dropped the
list as soon as I welcome them. OTOH, most, start participating.

The archives are another problem. I have them. I have just not been
motivated to fix the script that posts them after the last time I
rehosted the site.

> Matthew Weigel

Thank you Matthew!

> mentioned it, though, when I rambled* about cloud computing a few days
> ago and I was curious to see what the list was about.

We are about learning to develop games. That includes the business
side, the social side, the legal side... everything that affects
developing games. I even encourage political activism if it is about
games. (For example, FCC policies affecting net neutrality and
price/performance affect games so that would be a valid subject for
this list. As would similar government actions by other national
governments.) I do not tolerate abusive language or bigotry.

> I'm a web developer and working to launch my first online games, I have
> experience with front-end (HTML, JS, more CSS bugs than I could even
> catalog) and back-end (PHP, Django, Rails, SQL dbs, NoSQL dbs,
> deployment, sysadmin) work. No professional experience in the games
> industry, though. I'm happy to contribute when I can.

There have been any number of recent discussions that you could
contribute to. With the development (and very slow release) of WebGL
and the combination of fast JavaScript engines and faster computers
and graphics hardware there is a lot of interest in developing 3D
games that are written entirely in JS with WebGL. Personally, I see
that as the most exciting thing happening in games right now and it
may be the most exciting thing to happen to games in the last 10
years.

It is also very important for education because it makes the tools for
developing games available to everyone. All you need is a text editor
and a web browser! The hardest thing about teaching game development
is getting a standard set of tools into the hands of the students. You
cant just tell the students to download a version a VC++ and a
specific version of the DirectX SDK. It doesn't work when 10% (and
rapidly growing) own Macs and there are always a couple of (very wise)
people running LInux. I can't force students to go out and buy a new
computer for a class. But, I can tell them all to download the latest
version of FireFox!

Bob Pendleton