[gameprogrammer] Re: Welcome new members!

  • From: Vince <uberneen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 14:51:23 -0800 (PST)

I was in an interview once where this company had brought in their lead
programmer, who was generally underwhelmed by my resume.  What got his
attention was that I was self taught and had been programming for several years
just because I wanted to.
I think that kind of passion goes with the territory, and without it a person
is likely to be miserable in programming, regardless of their education.

I was too busy raising kids or doing crazy things like enlisting to bother with
college, but several of my friends did.  One in particular studied computer
science and specialized in programming.  He was one of the few people I could
talk to about my hobbies without getting a blank stare.
I like to use him as an example of the quality of higher education being in the
hands of the individual.  He went to college without expecting to magically be
given the qualifications for his trade.  In many respects he did what we did,
he just paid a lot more for it and probably had access to resources and people
that made it a little bit easier.

Vince~