[gameprogrammer] Re: Welcome Tanmay.

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 02:09:47 -0500

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Richard Sabbarton
<richard.sabbarton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Bob/List...
>
> Welcome Tanmay...
>
> Agreed, I think it is a great idea.  My name is Richard, I work in the
> software industry (support rather than development) but not anything
> gaming related.  I am not an "old fart" yet (my Wife would probably
> disagree) but I am certainly careering that way at a rate of knots.
>
> As a hobby coder my game development interests are entirely for fun
> but my current project is not a game.  It is something that have been
> born of my previous frustrations when developing 3D games.  I have
> made several starts to many different game projects.  I get as far as
> a vaguely functioning engine and then start looking at adding 3D
> content.  I then look at using Max or Blender and find my lack of
> experience with these apps and my poor at best design skills leave me
> with no models to add to my game.  As a hobby coder I don't have a
> team of designers and I am not too keen on spending the time learning
> to use these apps.  In fact, in my early projects I created models
> using scripts to generate vertex info in ascii format.  Since then I
> have been working on a model format, creator and editor that will
> allow me to quickly generate 3D models to place in my projects. I am
> currently in the process of re-designing the GUI of my application to
> make it easier and more intuitive to use.  I will be publishing this
> application as a beta when it is roadworthy.

Hey, why wait? If you publish it now you just might find you have
volunteers to help you with it. The problem you are working on is one
that I have faced to way to long. It is a problem that shows up here
on a regular basis. It is *the* problem that kills most game projects.

Bob Pendleton