[gameprogrammer] Re: Not game dev related but need some urgent help

  • From: Jake Briggs <jakbri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 14:03:09 +1200

The same way you were going to access putty or plink I guess. A google gives me many results, but I cannot evaluate them since I am not a vb.net expert :

http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/7914
http://www.thescarms.com/dotnet/Process.aspx
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/8712-vbnet-how-to-execute-a-program-from/

There is probably even a way to have stdout redirected back into vb.net instead or doing a "command > out"

Or you can use a library directly like in this article :

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/sharpssh.aspx

which looks quite good.

Jake

On 07/05/10 13:50, ®£$ǖ"v@M$Ħ ¢© $. wrote:
But how would i access it directly from my VB code? What you've given is
the commands for the command line.
Yea, i've tried putty but then that open the linux box and shows that to
the user, which is not the requirement for the project unfortunately.
Maybe if there was a way i could hard code the IP address and the
username and password into PuTTy so would auto connect and login on launch?

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 4:18 AM, Jake Briggs <jakbri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:jakbri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Instead of a username and password, you should use keys for
    passwordless logins. You could use
    http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/ and do something like :

    ssh user@hostname "scriptName.sh -a argument -b argument2" > output.txt

    The  2nd argument to ssh is the command to run on the machine, and
    the ">" redirects the output to the file output.txt.

    Here is how to generate keys :
    http://nosheep.net/story/password-less-ssh-login/

    Here is an example. My work machine is called osama, my home
    machine's URL is obscured (its name is beastie), but there are keys
    on each :

    jakbri@osama:/data1/48hrs$ ssh jake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:jake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> "ls"
    beastie-bttv.txt
    debian-multimedia-keyring_2008.10.16_all.deb
    Desktop
    linux-wbfs-manager
    Mail
    Music
    osama-bttv.txt
    Pictures
    play.sql
    plucker
    Projects
    sdl
    sync-from-ipod.sh
    sync-ipod.sh
    temp
    Videos
    jakbri@osama:/data1/48hrs$

    This example ssh's to the machine at urlto.jake.com
    <http://urlto.jake.com>, using the username jake, no password since
    the keys take care of that. It runs the command "ls" which lists the
    contents of a directory and the results go to the terminal on osama
    where I ran the command.

    Another example, the command ls -ls *.txt lists the contents of the
    directory with filenames that end in .txt and the -l means in a list
    and the h in -lh means human readable file sizes :

    jakbri@osama:/data1/48hrs$ ssh jake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:jake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> "ls -lh *.txt"
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jake jake  814 2009-07-26 13:15 beastie-bttv.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jake jake 1.1K 2009-07-26 13:07 osama-bttv.txt
    jakbri@osama:/data1/48hrs$

    and another, where I redirect the stdout to a file, then show the
    file  :

    jakbri@osama:/data1/48hrs$ ssh jake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:jake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> "ls -lh *.txt" > list.txt
    jakbri@osama:/data1/48hrs$ cat list.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jake jake  814 2009-07-26 13:15 beastie-bttv.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jake jake 1.1K 2009-07-26 13:07 osama-bttv.txt
    jakbri@osama:/data1/48hrs$

    I think you could do something similar with plink - the putty
    command line.

    Jake

    On 07/05/10 04:54, ®£$ǖ"v@M$Ħ ¢© $. wrote:

        Glad to hear it's on topic  :).

        I need to connect to the linux box to execute a program from a
        specific
        directory, with a known username and password. Also, i need to
        gather
        data from the application and display it back in my original
        program(located on my windows machine)

        Thanks for your time :)

        On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Alan Wolfe
        <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:

            This is somewhat on topic since networked games sometimes
        run linux
            servers and we all dev on windows (pretty much).

            What do you need to connect for?  IE what task are you trying to
            preform?

            Depending on the answer to that question, I have a couple
        different
            ways you could achieve your goal (:

            2010/5/6 ®£$ǖ"v@M$Ħ ¢© $. <theamericansushi@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:theamericansushi@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:theamericansushi@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:theamericansushi@xxxxxxxxx>>>

                Sorry guys this isn't game development but i've already
                exhausted all my resources (google :P ).
                Okay, so here's a overview. I need remotely connect to a
        linux
                based machine from my windows machine via vb.net
        <http://vb.net> <http://vb.net>

                I've already tried PuTTy but that requires me to enter the
                username and password after establishing the connection.
        Maybe
                if there's a way i can hardcode the username and password so
                that it auto logins on opening?
                I really need help doing this so any form of help is really
                appreciated.
                BTW pls don't get angry im on the wrong list, you guys
        were the
                best help i got before for something else so i thought
        i'd give
                this a shot

                Thanks,
                Suvamsh

    --

    Jacob Briggs
    Systems Engineer

    Core Technology Limited
    Level 1, NZX Centre
    11 Cable Street
    Wellington
    Phone +64 4 801 2250

    --

    Private Object doAnythingConceivable(String whatToDo, Object
    whatToDoItWith) { .....

Jacob Briggs
Systems Engineer

Core Technology Limited
Level 1, NZX Centre
11 Cable Street
Wellington
Phone +64 4 801 2250

--

Private Object doAnythingConceivable(String whatToDo, Object whatToDoItWith) { .....