[gameprogrammer] Re: Not game dev related but need some urgent help

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 10:02:19 -0700

One possible way is...

make a php script that runs the program as the specified user and spits the
output back down the http stream (ie it would display in the web browser if
you hit the page with a web browser).

Problem 1 - "That's unsecure, anyone could run the program then"
Solution - make it be in a secured directory (ie where when you try to hit
it in a browser it asks you for a username/password)

Problem 2 - "How do i talk to a web page from code?"
Solution - if you are using vb.net like you say i believe the functionality
is built in.  It is definately built into C#.  If you wanted to use C++
there is a library called "libcurl" which can let your program talk HTTP.
Also, if you just can't do it for some reason, libcurl has a command line
tool "curl.exe" (on windows) which you can make do this for you and spit out
the resulting data into a data file.  Your program could then read the data
file in and display it.