[gameprogrammer] Actual query (was: Re: game engine?)

  • From: grant hallman <unilogic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:03:09 -0500

At 10:11 PM 24-01-05 -0800, you wrote:
>could we have a minute of silence in memory of Johnny Carson....
>Good. Aawww you guys must be in love. It's when you fight over the
>little things that you know your meant to be with each other. Please
>get a room...this loveydovey stuff is sickning.

At the risk of spoiling a beautiful li'l dustup, i have an actual question,
semi-gaming-related. I've been shopping for an adequate drafting program i
can use to design a new house. Some of them have a walk-thru feature. In
every case i've seen, it's a huge bandwidth hog (and the controls suck wet
concrete). Can anyone explain the major discrepancy in frame rate for
architectural software walkthru vs the typical Quake/Doom - even Descent -
game engine?

Like this - i build a "house", with PunchPro. It has a dozen rooms, the
rooms have windows, monochrome walls, low-poly-count furniture objects,
nothing as complex as say Level 1 in Q2. The frame rate is around 0.5 Hz.

Alternatively, i want to show my e-bud in Europe what the inside of our
cabin looks like, so i use the Descent level builder and slap together a
few walls & textures, about 75% as complex as the PP dwg, and the Descent
game engine delivers a frame rate over 60 Hz.

I talked to one of the designers of PP. He was surprised i was surprised.
He knows nothing about game engines. So why the big discrepancy? Are the
architect-app guys just a decade behind in rendering algoritha? I know i'm
asking for speculation (unless we happen to be blessed with an
architect-app coder), but any guesses?

cheers - grant