[gameprogrammer] Re: Actual query (was: Re: game engine?)

  • From: Robbert de Groot <zekaric@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:59:02 -0500 (EST)

Coming from a sort of similar CAD package at work our frame rate is
probably not as spunky as game engines either or with half the
features but certainly better than a frame per 2 seconds.

As far as I can see, CAD software and software I code for, have to be
seriously generalized to support all the features that architects and
engineers expect from a CAD product.  They are totally different
problem domains.

Game Engines rarely draw wireframe, line patterns, face patterns,
thick lines, thick patterned lines, etc.  Similarly CAD tools have no
need for texture mapping, light mapping, normal mapping etc.

Game Engines seriously tailor their display code to a specific world
format.  The 'level' has to be 'prepared' for the engine to obtain
the  best speed.  I would imagine it would be very difficult for a
CAD package to incorporate a game engine and a converter for their
general model to an engine specific model.  Meaning, It's a lot of
effort for very little gain.  CAD products make their money on the
features they afford the architect or engineer.  A walkthroughs is a
very minor deciding factor on a CAD tool.

Add to the mix is that the CAD tool has mainly been developed with a
2D frame of mind, architects and engineers can't get their head
around 3D, so their primary code is heavily based on 2D design or at
best, 2.5D.  To get a walkthrough at all would probably mean forcing
their code base kicking and screeming to simulate the experience.  My
guess is that they did it simple.  Used a painters algorithm to draw
all the bits instead of implementing a z buffer.  z sorting all the
triangles each and every frame.  This would suck big time for speed.