[fruityloops] Re: welcome!

  • From: Andrew Ebling <aebling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 06 Feb 2002 12:27:26 +0000

> My name is Gwydion, I'm 33 (34 on the 16th) and live in Sydney, Australia.

Ok, nice to "meet" you and welcome to the list.

> Although I have wide musical tastes, for composition I'm experimenting with
> styles similar to Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Kraftwerk and so on, so I
> guess generally you'd call that Electronica and Symphonic Electronica.

Cool, I'd like to hear some of your stuff, I'll check out the links

> The reason I like FL is that it allows me to build up ideas very quickly and
> then experiment with them in a non-destructive way.

Yes, I find this to be particularly so.  I'm coming from a MIDI
background where I found that you needed to have a pretty good idea of
what you wanted to come up with right at the start.  With fruityloops I
find I can just mess around with a few synths and samples and ideas
start to come together as I build a song.

> I tend to use a lot of
> patterns with just one instrument playing in each so I have maximum
> flexibility in the playlist to try different combinations of things.

It took me about 8 hours of playing around with fruityloops to figure
this one out.  It is a particularly good approach if you are writing a
progressive approach as it allows you to experiment with bringing
different parts in and out of the mix to achieve the desired effect.

> It's
> also astonishingly stable - I have never, ever had it crash.

Definitely.  It just goes to show that it is possible to make a highly
complex piece of software that carries computationally expensive
operations without sacrificing stability.  As a software engineer I am
particularly interested in this aspect and wondered how imageline went
about creating fruityloops.  Normally exceptionally stable products come
about as a result of designing it right from the ground up, but from
what I can tell, fruityloops has evolved significantly since it was
first released.

> Dislikes in FL include the total inflexibility of the effects routing,

I find it OK in this respect.  Could you expand on this?  I find that
having so many "effects sends" (to use mixer speak) means that you can
get most desired combinations of effects in series or parallel.

> the browser pane which while convenient can get unmanageable very quickly.

Yes I have found this to be true.  While it is obviously designed to fit
in with the rest of the look and feel, its functionality does suffer.  I
would find a standard windows-like explorer tree to be a lot more
useful.  Eventually I gave up trying to use it and came to the
conclusion that it was not worth the screen "real estate", so disabled
it.

> I have done some MP3s but they've been experimental and I haven't given them
> the time they really need to fully develop.  You can hear them at my ampcast
> site - http://www.ampcast.com/gwydi - and please download them if you can
> because I get 5c per download and it all helps :)

I check these out and provide some feedback once I have had time to sit
down and have a good listen.

> I'm involved in a very friendly musical community called the fin-music list,
> named for its creator Fin (http://www.mp3.com/fin) ... if you like JMJ type
> music, you must listen to Fin's stuff because he owns a lot of the same gear
> and his music is very, very good.  If you're interested in a list full of
> electronic music gearheads that's not specific to any platform, hardware or
> software, you could do much worse than joining his list - so long as you
> don't mind 600 or more emails per month!

> In addition, I tune in every week to a live internet radio show run by
> another artist, Palancar (http://www.palancar.net) - this shows plays every
> Wednesday at 11pm Eastern / 8pm PST / 4am GMT (thursday morning) / 3pm AEST
> (thursday afternoon in Australia).  This show features great electronic
> music from Ampcast artists every week and also has a hugely fun and active
> chatroom running at the same time - go to http://bluewater.palancar.net and
> from there you can find the link to "listen" and for the chatroom.  I've
> made a lot of new emusic friends from this show :)

Could you mention this list to these communities?  Fruityloops users
seem to be thinly spread over a large number of different communities.
At the moment it doesn't feel like there is much of a community around
fruityloops, which is part of the reason why I started this list.

--
best regards,

Andy

Andy Ebling - developer, Email: aebling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tao Group, 62/63 Suttons Business Park, Earley, READING, RG6 1AZ UK
Tel: 0118 901 2999 (UK) +44 118 901 2999 (International)
Fax: 0118 901 2963 (UK) +44 118 901 2963 (International)