[frgeek-michiana] Potential warehouse spaces offered to FGM

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 14:38:15 -0400

SOUTH BEND WAREHOUSING

This past Friday, Fr. Robert and I met with the president of South Bend Warehousing and Distribution. He is offering us a 1250 sq. ft. enclosed work space and 2500 sq. ft. of adjoining cold storage with a private entrance and dock door close by for the cost of the utilities alone. Mike is going to estimate the utility costs.

In return for free rent we would do occasional IT work for the company. The first IT project would be to install Internet access to a specific dock area and add a wireless router/access point in the dock area. FGM will be allowed to use the Internet connection at no cost, at least that is the plan.

The president of the company also offered to let us park our inventory in the space he is offering while we decide whether to take him up on his offer. If we don't pick SB Warehousing, he is willing to let us store the inventory there until we find a new home. The offer is probably not open ended, but he put no limit on it during our discussion.

There are zone alarms which are turned on at the end or normal business hours so we would need to turn off our zone alarm and stay in our area.

LANGLAB

Last week, LangLab officials made an offer to rent the basement space in their facility to us. We are still discussing the offer with LangLab officials. LangLab is better outfitted for a workspace than SB Warehousing. However, LangLab has no dock at this time, and we couldn't operate a forklift in the basement. LangLab is also offering us a small office on the first or second floor. We would pay for utilities and CAM (common area maintenance).

In exchange for discounted rent, FGM would do IT work for LangLab.

NEXT STEP

The board and council will discuss the offers and pick the one which offers us the best work space and storage and which is the most affordable. Mike has toured the space at LangLab but not SB W&D. I'd like Mike to make a visual inspection before we make a decision.

PHOTO SETS

Photo sets of both spaces are viewable at Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42072106@N07/sets/