[frgeek-michiana] Re: LangLab visit

  • From: Phil Goldbach <shadowvar8541@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 19:21:10 -0700 (PDT)

Not to mention in addition, some of the gaylords we do have, even when filled
with monitors or systems are still fairly heavy, requiring the assistance of
more than one person using a pallet jack. Forklift is still the ideal way to
go, and since non-profits can sell items to generate income to sustain itself,
then hopefully FGM can do this to afford the propane for the forklift, and
possibly longer forks for it, I'm sure they make ones that slide over the
existing forks. And yes, the forklift is a Clark. Operating a forklift isn't
hard.

Another option would be to find an used powered pallet jack with forklift
capabilites. No, I do not mean a manlift. That's the best way I can describe
it, but Wal-mart uses them. They're a bit larger than a regular pallet jack,
electric, but features the adjustable forks much like a forklift. It's
controlled in the same manner as a pallet jack (T-handle shaped lever for
turning, with forward/reverse controls) and separate controls for the forks.
Nor do I mean a walkie-stacker, those things are considerably taller than 8
feet. Unless what I'm thinking of is a mini-walkie stacker.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before or not (if I have, then I've
forgotten the answer), but if we cannot find a new warehouse space to move to,
what will happen to the forklift? Is there anywhere we can store it?

Phil Goldbach

"Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades."

From: tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:31:28 -0400

#yiv1886298619 .ExternalClass .EC_shape
{}

#yiv1886298619 .ExternalClass p.EC_MsoNormal, #yiv1886298619 .ExternalClass
li.EC_MsoNormal, #yiv1886298619 .ExternalClass div.EC_MsoNormal
{margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';}
#yiv1886298619 .ExternalClass a:link, #yiv1886298619 .ExternalClass
span.EC_MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}
#yiv1886298619 .ExternalClass a:visited, #yiv1886298619 .ExternalClass
span.EC_MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}
#yiv1886298619 .ExternalClass p
{margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New
Roman';}
#yiv1886298619 .ExternalClass span.EC_EmailStyle18
{font-family:Arial;color:navy;}
 _filtered #yiv1886298619 {}
#yiv1886298619 .ExternalClass div.EC_Section1
{}

We do not own a pallet jack so we will probably need to purchase one or two,
preferably used, when we get our next warehouse space. If there is a dock, then
we can use pallet jacks to load and unload trucks. If we don’t have a dock, we
need a forklift.

Another situation requiring a forklift is loading or unloading a pickup truck.
Their beds are too low for a dock and the use of a pallet jack. We typically
use a pickup truck for steel (tin) recycling runs to Gertrude on Saturday
mornings, but we could use a stake-bed truck as well. Anything larger would be
difficult to off load at Gertrude where the sides of a box truck would
interfere with tossing the tin from the gaylords on to a pile on the ground,
not to mention maneuvering a large truck around the yard. Gertrude doesn’t
provide (or allow) forklifts in the yard so material handling is manual.

Tom