Re: Need Waterman converter

  • From: "Eric D. Zamir-Zimmerman" <eric@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: fptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 07:48:39 +0200

My problem with converters is that they don't hold enough ink.
I use wet, broad or stub nibs. I usually scrape out the canals of my feeds because they're never wet enough for me.
I end up using up the whole converter after an hour.
The Montegrappa I referred to didn't cost me that much, and wrote really well, but it was annoying.
I like Parker Vacumatics, for example, or the Omas and Pelikan pens. And I never pay retail!

On 15 May 2006, at 3:06, Roger Beamon wrote:

On 15 May 2006 at 0:45, Eric D. Zamir-Zimmerman wrote, at least in part:

More than strength, Roger... some foolishness as well, since it's a
lot easier and cheaper to find the right converter than to fix a
damaged feed. Montegrappa is kind of picky. Also Dupont.

I don't have pricey pens like them in my 40 pen accumulation. Only my modern Parker Centennials are converter fed and are expensive by my standards, and they're provided with the proper converters.

Some properly matched converters require a stiff push to seat and a very
determined twisty pull to release. You know it's the converter supplied with
the pen, yet you can't believe how hard it is to mount and dismount. The
modern Pilot VP is such an example. So, it takes the good sense to mic the
inside diameter of the mouth of the converter and the O.D. of the nipple if in
doubt.

I don't really use converter pens anymore, except for the Dupont,
which I hope to sell as well, but they come in handy for my son's
pens.

I like some converter fed pens better than others. Sailor's are a favorite
converter fed pen. Big mouthed converters that are good feeders after the
obligatory soapy wash at the beginning. Most of my Bexley converter pens
feed pretty well, too! The Bexleys are standard International size. and will
take any without a peep!