Re: [foxboro] Remote display manager on a moder X server?

  • From: stan <stanb@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 08:10:49 -0400

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 07:31:57AM +1000, Darryl Bond wrote:

> It's a shame that Foxboro are never going to fix this. It is getting harder
> support 8 bit displays with the current generation of software and video
> cards.
> (Try running a dual screen Matrox card with 8 bit depth on both screens). My
> organisation will be staying with display managers for the forseeable future
> so
> I need to do something.
>
> The program that is causing all the grief seems to be blink task. I'm sure
> that
> there are enough skills on this list to reverse engineer the operation of the
> blink task to work properly with 16/24bit displays, maybe with a little help
> from our friends at Foxboro.

Well, both with this in mind, and closer to home, in an effort to help me
get my systems set up the way I need them, could some kind soul describe
what the blink_task process does, and how it interacts with the dm?

I've writen X appliactions a while back, so I've got some idea how they
work.

neither liberty nor safety."
                                                -- Benjamin Franklin