Re: [foxboro] Priority in Alarm messages

  • From: <Adam.Pemberton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 16:52:44 +1000

I'm not sure why Message Manager has not been mentioned in this thread
but I think it deserves to be.

We have been using Ted Jiric's Message Manager for over two years (since
before my time) and it has worked flawlessly - and it's free. Ted issued
us an update a while back that includes priority.

The version on Cassandra is the original version so I assume you will
need to ask Ted for his latest version (V5.9 is on the site, and he has
since released v6.1 and then a further update).

For those unaware, Ted's software consists of:

1.    One or more processes on a host AW that act as an historian for
alarms and operator journal messages. We have 7 for the seven major
areas of our process. Just configure the processes as the destination
devices in the Station and Compound Group Assignment. These processes
cache up to the last 50 alarms messages.

2.    Services on a Windows box on the second Ethernet network that poll
these AW processes and write the data into separate SQL Server
databases. The key information, including priority, C:B.P source,
status, description etc are extracted out into separate columns in three
tables: opaction, processalm and systemalm. I haven't figured out how to
get systemalm logging happening yet.

My predecessor wrote a simple Microsoft Access front-end to allow anyone
to query the data. I'm sure most out there can figure out the best way
to make the data available for the masses - even if it's via dumps from
Enterprise Manager.

We reinstalled it recently because our SQL Server machine crashed. I
found it a bit tricky to install (mostly through my own bad management)
but it's online again and helping with our ongoing site issues.

Did I mention it's free?

Regards

Adam